Wednesday, April 4, 2012

FREE Youth Fencing Classes to be Offered in Detroit by Sword Dreams starting April 17th

Photo Credit: Flickr Creative Commoms
Sword Dreams Takes a Stab at Childhood Obesity

I just saw a tweet from Positive Detroit with the following press release concerning FREE fencing classes for youth in Detroit.  Check it out and if you are interested, contact Bonnie Culhane from Sword Dreams at 1-800-493-4187 or

Detroit – April 3, 2012 – Sword Dreams, a non-profit fencing organization, will be offering free youth fencing programs. All youth fencing classes will provide wellness and cultural education programs utilizing fencing in the city of Detroit. Sword Dreams classes will be located in the Pony Ride building in Corktown, located at 1401 Vermont Street in Detroit. Classes are designed for children aged 8 to 17. Beginner youth fencing classes will be offered three days a week and will be free-of-charge to the students who commit to the program.

“Everything is being taken from our youth; from the arts to safe play spaces. This is part of our way of empowering the community with new options and potential college scholarships,” says Bobby Smith, CEO of En Garde Detroit. “Only 1% of our youth will make it to the NBA or NFL so, it is important to consider what we are offering the other 99% as options.”

It’s not just Fencing — children will be exposed to health education, cultural arts, and S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) based mentors. Developing well rounded youth who will represent Detroit in state, regional and national competitions is the long term objective of Sword Dreams.

The program is offered three days per week Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. The main program will be held on Saturday mornings from 10am – 1pm. Saturday participation is mandatory to attend weekday classes.

About Sword Dreams
Sword Dreams develops wellness programs for inner city schools and corporate partners as a way to improve general health and cognitive abilities. Sword Dreams, a 501(c)(3) organization is tasked with providing cultural arts, education, training and providing financial support for students in national competitions from under-served communities.


Follow FREEISMYLIFE on Facebook
blog comments powered by Disqus